Genevieve TaylorSenior Associate
75 N Main St #105
Mt Clemens, Michigan 48043
I guess I should maybe start from the beginning. I was raised in St. Clair County, out in the country. My first car was a horse, named Dominion – and I wasn’t delivering pizza. I wasn’t sure what I wanted to do when I was younger, but I knew I wanted to go college.
I started at Oakland University in their engineering program and also took classes at Macomb Community College for acting. I was adventurous and went to stunt school where I was lit on fire and got to jump off buildings. Eventually, my journey took me to the University of Michigan, where I got my undergraduate degree in Psychology and Mathematics. My last semester at Michigan I took a Constitutional Law class and thought, quoting Marty in the animated movie Madagascar, “Maybe I’ll go to law school.”
During my transition to law school I was working as a Table Games Supervisor at MGM Grand Casino, and thought maybe I would end up in Gaming Law. I had two internships during law school, one (you guessed it) in gaming law and the other at the Macomb County Prosecutor’s Office. Obviously, I was pulled toward criminal law and here I am today!
Most days I completely love my job. I am a listener and an empathizer, so being a defense attorney comes easy. The hard part is the system, but the fight is really why I’m here. I believe in the Constitution and protecting people rights. I want to fight for you and I am not afraid of the battle and I will be well-prepared. I might be a fighter, but I come with a smile and heart. I come from a family that worked very hard for everything they have and I want to do the same for you. Everyone deserves a great attorney.
Personally, I completely love the country and animals. Currently, I own three dogs (Lola and Frida-the sister Pugs, and Suki, the deaf Blue Healer) and two guinea pigs (Fudgie and Sundae). In addition to my love for animals, I am a member of the State Bar Michigan’s Animal Law Section. I think my love from animals comes from my mother, who actually owns the GarLyn Zoo in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula. That’s right, Lions, and Tigers, and Bears, oh my!
But that’s not all folks, I am a single-mother of two extremely smart girls that keep me busy catching softballs, running to swim meets, and helping with calculations in Math. So when it comes down to it, I’ve seen a lot, done a lot, and plan on doing a lot more. Some of my credentials include the following:
- Bachelors of Arts, Psychology (Minor Mathematics) - University of Michigan
- Juris Doctor Law – Thomas M. Cooley Law School
- Acknowledged Research Assistant for the Published Article, Gambling with Bankruptcy: Navigating a Casino through Chapter 11 Bankruptcy Proceedings , written by Robert W. Stocker II & Peter J. Kulick
- Current member of these sections of State Bar of Michigan – Criminal, Marijuana, and Animal
- President of the Macomb County Circuit Drug Court 501(c)(3)
- Recipient of Innovation Grant to study Managed Assigned Counsel in Macomb County
- Author of the Feasibility Study of Managed Assigned Counsel in Macomb
- Member of the task force to implement Constitutional standards in Macomb’s public defense
- Member of Macomb County Circuit Court Indigent Defense Panel of Attorneys and Judges
J.D., Thomas M. Cooley Law School
B.A., University of Michigan